Now posts ↓

Wednesday 15 April 2009

Our answer to Maher, Colbert and Stewart?

I just love David Mitchell. Not only is he a brilliant comedian who can do slapstick as well as satire but he's a great writer whose columns never fail to hit the spot. He's smart, witty and not shy of being political. He hosts The Unbelievable Truth on Radio Four expertly. His appearance on Question Time saw him displaying all these talents with no script writer.

I'd vote for him.

I've discovered he has a YouTube channel where he delivers some excellent monologues like this one on TV rudeness:



I've never understood the appeal of shows like Dragon's Den either. I guess I like my wit more on the Gore Vidal level than the Ballantyne.

All his skills make him, IMO, just about the only candidate to do a UK version of the Daily Show or, even better, Real Time with Bill Maher. That is, world class political satire.

Maher just had Gore Vidal on his show
and, rare for Vidal, more than held his own with him. Similarly ranty Marcus Brigstock once tried the Daily Show format and failed miserably.

1 comment:

  1. David Mitchell is intelligent, articulate and witty, with well thought out and presented reasonable opinions, which he is capable of justifying. He doesn't jump on bandwagons but actually considers both sides of an issue.

    What on earth makes you think he has any of the qualifications necessary to be a politician in this country?

    [Yes, I'd vote for him too]

    ReplyDelete